Garfield is undisputedly one of the best Cartoons/Comics of all time!
Here are some fun facts about Garfield*:
- Garfield is based on a real cat. The original, also named Garfield after Davis’ opinionated grandfather, James Garfield Davis, was an overweight, grouchy cat that was one of the 25 cats that roamed the farm Davis grew up on.
- In the early days of the strip, before syndication, Garfield wasn’t the focus. He was merely the sidekick to his fictional cartoonist/owner Jon Arbuckle. When Davis realized he gave Garfield all the funny lines, Garfield became the central character, and a star was born.
- One of the original syndication affiliates, a Chicago newspaper, decided to drop Garfield and replace him with another comic. After over 1,300 angry fan letters and phone calls, the newspaper reversed its decision and has runthe strip ever since.
- The strip holds the Guinness World Record as the most widely syndicated comic strip in the world. It’s presently featured in over 2,600 newspapers around the world.
- It is read by an estimated 263 million people every day.
Click the above image to download the coloring sheet. Enjoy!